Biloxi Lighthouse

Biloxi Lighthouse

Do you need somewhere to go? How about we direct you to a nice location? As members of this community, we know just the place for you.

The Biloxi Lighthouse is located at 1050 Beach Boulevard, Biloxi MS 39530 in the United States of America.

About the Biloxi Lighthouse

The Biloxi Lighthouse is adjacent to the Mississippi sound of the Gulf of Mexico.

  • The Lighthouse was first lit in 1848 and automated in 1941. Its foundation was constructed with brick and the construction of the building was made with Brick encased by cast iron. The tower is shaped like the Frustum of a cone and has a white tower with black Balustrade markings. The tower height is approximately 61 Ft (19 M) with a focal height of 18.5 M (61 Ft). The lens is a fourth-order Fresnel lens, 1848. The architects of the lighthouse were Murray and Hazlehurst.

The Biloxi Lighthouse for most of its years has been kept by female keepers, this is more than any lighthouse in the United States. It is also on the National Register of Historic Places in the year 1973. In 1977 it was declared a Mississippi landmark. 

Brief History of the Biloxi Lighthouse

The Biloxi Lighthouse was constructed in 1848 and at the time, it was one of the very first cast-iron lighthouses in the south. It is a signature landmark and a post-Katrina symbol of the city’s resolve and resilience. The lighthouse was authorized in 1847 by legislation sponsored by Mississippi representative Jefferson Davis. A one-acre tract for the lighthouse was purchased from John Fayard for the sum of $ 600. The lower was computed in 1848 under the supervision of Henry Scoles and Marcellus J Howard who became the first keeper of the lighthouse in the year 1856 a fourth-order Fresnel lens replaced the array of lamps and reflections.

From the year 1848 to 1939 the lighthouse was operated by civilians. Notably, among the light service, several female keepers are Maria Younghans who tended the light for over 53 years. In 1939 the U.S coast guard took over the responsibility of the lighthouse. In the year 1968, the Biloxi lighthouse was declared surplus and was deeded to the city of Biloxi which then opened its doors to public tours. 

Guided tours are available at the lighthouse from 9 AM to 10 AM.

Useful LinksDelhi Escort Service | Mumbai Call Girls | Kolkata Escorts | Web Development Company | Marriage Garden Gwalior | Craigslist Posting Service for Car Dealers | Facebook Marketplace Software | Facebook Marketplace Posting Update | Web Development Company in Gwalior | Web Design Company in Gwalior | Lubbock Moving Company | Online Auto Auctions for Car Dealers | Used Cars for Sale in USA | Reliable outsourcing partner for Flavor & Fragrance, Pheromones and fine chemicals in New Jersey, USA | CRO Company New Jersey, CMO Company in New Jersey, USA, Pharmaceutical Company New Jersey | National Fire Safety and Services Gwalior | Satta Matka Result | One Plus Franchise and Dealership